Strong teeth and gums are essential for your child’s overall health. They help your child to chew foods properly and talk fluently. As a parent, you should start taking care of your child’s dental hygiene right from his childhood. It will help to avoid gum disease, oral infection, or other teeth problems.
As a parent, your ultimate goal should be to keep your child teeth cavity-free. Poor dental health can prevent your child from enjoying foods, sleeping peacefully, and attending school regularly. Here are a few tips that can help to keep your child’s teeth and gums healthy.
1. Give healthy foods to kids: Sugary foods and drinks are not good for dental health. They lead to cavities. This is why you should avoid serving foods that have high sugar content. For instance, cold drinks and soda. Don’t give sweet snacks to kinds even if they love to eat them. Even if your child eats sweets and chocolates, make them brush their teeth afterward.
Give chewing gums to kids since they have lots of benefits. For instance, they help to produce saliva that is essential for the growth of the tooth enamel. Other than that chewing gums act as good mouth freshener. If your child has a bad mouth odor, give him chewing gums until you visit a proper dentist to solve this problem.
Chewing gums are a good substitute for candies. They are good in taste, remove food particles from the mouth, and strengthen jaws.
2. Teach brushing and flossing: Ask your child to brush his teeth after waking up in the morning. Give him a toothpaste that doesn’t contain fluoride in it. This kind of toothpaste doesn’t cause any health hazard when your child swallows it. Once your child grows up and learns to spit out the toothpaste, you can switch to fluoride-containing toothpaste. Teach your child to brush his teeth for a minimum of 2 minutes.
Ask your child to brush his teeth before going back to bed. Dentists say that is more important than brushing teeth in the morning.
Flossing is also an integral part of dental care. Show your child how to floss teeth every day.
3. Schedule dental appointments: Take your child to the dentist around his first birthday. It gives a good opportunity to the dentist to check if there is any problem in the child’s teeth and gums. Consult pediatric dentists as they have specialization in maintaining the dental health of the children. If you live in Rajarhat, then look for the best child specialist doctors in Newtown Clinic. They can give you proper guidance on dental care.
Start taking your child to a dentist from an early age. It gradually develops a healthy habit of a regular dental checkup. Try to see the dentist at least once in 3 months. However, if your child has the following issues, then consult a dentist right now:
- An oral infection
- Loss of permanent teeth
When you see a pediatric dentist, make sure you ask these 7 important questions:
1. Should I give chewing gums to my child?
2. Should I ask my child to use mouthwash?
3. How often should I visit you?
4. Is dental X-ray good for my child?
5. What toothpaste should I buy for my child?
6. What type of toothbrush shall I buy for my child?
7. Is my child prone to cavities?
4. Watch videos and read books: Dental care should be a fun activity for kids so that they are encouraged to take care of their teeth and gums. Use these tips to make dental care a pleasurable activity.
(i) Watch videos and read books that discuss dental care. You can get loads of videos from Youtube. Choose those videos that explain why and how to take care of dental health in a simple way. Kids love animations. If you get any video where popular cartoon characters explain various tips to take care of teeth, then let your kid watch that video.
(ii) Let your child choose his favorite toothpaste and toothbrush. Let him choose one that has a favorite color. He will brush his teeth with full energy and dedication.
(iii) Give rewards to your kids if they take good care of their dental health. Don’t give them ice cream or sweets. Instead, give them cheese sandwiches or grilled fish. These are good for the body and dental health. Kids love these foods. So they will be equally happy.
Be a role model for your child. Kids have a tendency to imitate people around them. Therefore, practice good dental habits. Brush your teeth along with your children. Play your kid’s favorite music when both of you’re brushing teeth. Make it an enjoyable experience instead of a daily chore.