The best part of Outlook is that it lets users work even in offline mode and it is possible with the help of OST file only. In addition, OST file is very helpful in the case of Exchange Server downtime or unexpected system crashes. But, whenever a user switches to some other computer, accessing the old OST file on a new computer is not so easy. It because unlike PST file, a user is not allowed to simply OST file from one location and paste it to another location. OST file can only be accessed in the profile only that has created it originally. However, the only possible way to move an offline Outlook Data File (.ost) to another location is by converting it to PST format.
After all this, the very first question that strikes in a user’s mind is how to move OST file to another or new computer. Keeping this query in mind, we have decided to discuss the solution for the same with users.
Consider a query asked by the user:
My Outlook application is working really slow so, I checked the disk space of my main drive. After that, I noticed that I am running out of disk space and it is because of the large size OST file. Now, I know how to move PST file to some other location but the same does not work for OST file. Therefore, I am here and looking for a solution that let me move an offline Outlook data file (.ost) 2013 to another location. If anyone knows some method for the same, please suggest.
How to Move Outlook OST File to Another Location?
Whenever a user switch to a new computer and face drive full issue, moving offline Outlook data file (.ost) is the smart choice. The main and only concern of users while transferring OST file data is that it does not result in data loss.
OST file can only be opened by the account that has created it originally. However, changing the location of the OST file can create a serious problem like corruption, make it completely inaccessible. Therefore, a user is advised to export OST file to PST format and access it on some other location.
- Move an Offline Outlook Data File (.ost) Manually
As to prevent any type of serious issue while transferring OST file, a user is advised to convert OST to PST format. Now, in order to carry out the same with help of manual procedure, use the Import/ Export feature of Outlook. Follow the steps mentioned below:
Limitation: The method requires connection MS Exchange Server and Outlook installation on the local machine.
- To begin the process, click on the Microsoft Outlook application.
- After that, click on the File >> Import and Export option
- Then, click on the Export to a file option from the Import and Export Wizard. Click on the Next button
- Next, you need to choose Outlook Data File(.pst) option >> Next button to continue
- Here, you need to choose the mailbox folder that you want to export to PST format. You are allowed to include subfolders.
- Now, simply click on the Browse button and choose the destination location to save the resultant PST file.
- At last, click on the Finish button to complete the process successfully.
- Transfer OST file to Another Computer Professionally
As the manual conversion of OST to PST file is not possible in all scenarios so, moving towards a professional solution is not at all a bad choice. The OST to PST Converter tool is one of the popular applications that let users export OST file to PST format. It has the capability to move all data items from OST file like emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, journal, etc. Moreover, it exports orphan, corrupt, and inaccessible OST file to PST format without any hassle. Another major advantage of the application is that it is capable to restore permanently deleted items from OST file. A user can run this application on any Outlook version and Windows operating system.
Steps to move an offline Outlook data file (.ost) via tool
- Launch OST to PST Converter application on local machine
- After that, click on Add File button and upload the desired OST file
- Then, the preview of OST file data item is provided by software
- Choose the items you want to move and click on the Export button
The Bottom Line
OST file always stores crucial data that is really important for the user. But, in some situations when users need to move an offline Outlook data file (.ost) 2013 / 2016, they are unable to do so. However, OST file does not work like PST file of Outlook and cannot be accessed in any other account. Therefore, to get things work in a proper way, users can convert OST to PST format by following the methods discussed above.